Sunday, January 24, 2010

No. 29



To an Irish/English/Mennonite it's No.29; that's what it's labeled at my usual pho stop. To a Vietnamese, it's Bun Bo Xao. At least that's what I gather from a google search, but I could be wrong...so that's why I'll be sticking with "No.29"!
Basically, it's a rice noodle salad with caramelized, lemongrass scented meat, crisp veggies, drizzled with nuoc cham... and it is ridiculously good.
Here's how I made it...no claims to authenticity, but it sure is tasty!

Thinly sliced pork or beef (I used pork this time), seasoned with fish sauce, lemongrass, garlic, and sugar (sorry no official amounts, but this time I used about 2 stalks lemongrass, 2 cloves garlic, 3 tbsp sugar, 4 tbsp fish sauce).
1 small onion, large dice
Carrots, cut into matchsticks
Cucumber, cut into matchsticks
Bean sprouts
Lettuce, shredded
Cilantro
Chopped Peanuts
Thin rice noodles, cooked according to package and rinsed
Nuoc Cham: I used the recipe found here

Fry beef and onion with a little canola oil until cooked and sugar starts to caramelize. Place rice noodles in bowls, and arrange veggies and meet on top. Drizzle with nuoc cham and top with peanuts. Enjoy!



No comments: